U.S. Commando Killed in Yemen in Trump’s First Counterterrorism Operation

Mr. Trump, who has vowed to increase pressure on militant groups worldwide, was quickly persuaded that the rewards were worth the gamble, and he authorized the mission last week, military officials said. Commandos waited for a moonless evening on Saturday to exploit their advantage of fighting at night.

As helicopter gunships and armed Reaper drones provided cover, the commandos carried out the attack against the home of the Qaeda leader in the rugged mountainous region of Bayda Province, a part of Yemen that has been a focal point of United States military operations over the past month. The main target was computer materials inside the house that could contain clues about future terrorist plots.

In a statement on Sunday, Mr. Trump called the raid “successful,” and said that it had captured “important intelligence that will assist…

Read the full article from usatoday.com…

Back to Top