Trip through time: Remember ‘The Alamo’ – Moberly Monitor Index

HUNTSVILLE, Mo. — Nope — it’s not the famous Alamo in San Antonio, Texas, where Commander Jim Bowie and frontiersman Davy Crockett lost their lives trying to fight off the Mexican army in 1836. This is the not-so-famous Alamo tea room and filling station (what a strange combo that must have been) that was built by Dr. E. E. Hobbs, a dentist here in Moberly, on Huntsville Road in 1929.

The structure was built on a tract about 150 by 150 feet to the east of the Hobbs’ home place. It was across the road from Oak Grove School, near the intersection of today’s Route JJ and County Road 1245. The building was on the order of El Hogar, located on North Morley, and had a frontage on Huntsville Road of 100 feet and a depth of 30 feet. Its surface was stucco of several colors with trimmings of…

Read the full article from usatoday.com…

Back to Top