Quebec pledges $500K for flood victims as water levels expected to drop – Montreal

Amid news that levels in Quebec’s waterways may soon crest, the provincial government has pledged to donate $500,000 to the Red Cross in order to help those affected by flooding.

Water levels are expected to peak either today or tomorrow, then slowly start to subside by Wednesday, according to Public Security Minister Martin Coiteux.

But, he warned, the issues caused by the flooding will persist long after the situation starts to normalize.

“We’re in for a number of weeks in which we will have particular problems we will have to face all together, and this is why the efforts we’re combining … will have to be maintained for quite some time,” he said.

Later in the morning, Coiteux announced the province would donate $500,000 toward a special flood relief fund set up by the Red Cross.

The money will be used to pay for immediate needs, such as food, clothing and shelter, and to help people once they return home to pay for things such as clean up, rebuilding and furniture.

The government will pay the non-profit organization’s administration fees, Coiteux said, so everything donated to the fund will go directly to helping those in need.

The City of Montreal answered Quebec’s contribution to the Red Cross with a pledge of $250,000 of its own Monday afternoon. 

(CBC News)

The Red Cross has set up 12 welcome centres in nine regions across Quebec since the flooding began, and has helped more than 1,400 people so far, according to spokesperson Pascal Mathieu.

146 Quebec municipalities affected

As of 9:45 a.m. ET, 146 municipalities were flooded and 1,520 people have been forced out of their homes. 

By the end of the day, there will be 1,650 Canadian Forces troops on the ground across Quebec to help with the relief efforts.

Monday afternoon, Montreal fire department spokesperson Bruno Lachance said a total of…

Read the full article from the Source…

Back to Top