Bruce Hall, veteran CBS newsman, dead at 76

Veteran TV newsman Bruce Hall, who covered more than 3,000 stories over 20 years for CBS News, including the 1986 Challenger disaster, dozens of hurricanes, revolutions, scandals and numerous presidential campaigns, died Tuesday. He was 76.

Widely respected for his diligence, unassuming manner and sense of fair play, Hall spent another 17 years with the NBC News Channel before retiring in 2007.

He then helped start the Suthers Center for Christian Outreach in the Atlanta area “as a way of giving back to the community,” serving as its chairman for four years before stepping down earlier this year while being treated for cancer.

“He helped with everything we do here,” said Susan Hamilton, a board member at the Suthers Center. “We have a food pantry, he helped with getting food from the Atlanta food bank, he helped with clients that we have, helped stock the shelves. We also do emergency financial assistance for people in our area for things like utility bills and rent and that sort of thing. He helped with that when he was needed. Anything that needed to be done.”

Asked to describe Hall’s impact, Hamilton said simply “huge.”

An old-school “gentleman journalist,” Hall relished his role as a network news correspondent, starting with CBS News in 1971 after graduating from the University of Missouri with degrees in journalism and speech.

Susie Hall

In 1975, CBS anchorman Walter Cronkite invited Hall to join the network’s team at the Kennedy Space Center to cover the Apollo-Soyuz Test Project and the launch of astronauts Deke Slayton, Tom Stafford and Vance Brand. The astronauts docked with a Russian Soyuz spacecraft carrying two cosmonauts in a symbolic act of cooperation highlighting the era of detente.

The mission gave Hall a chance to renew his childhood fascination with space exploration and he quickly became an expert, covering NASA’s transition to the space shuttle program. He was at…

Read the full article from the Source…

Back to Top